Friday, March 20, 2009

My 20 cents on Brule's opinion on Singapore

Dear All

Here is a list of Monocle 20 most livable cities in chronological order.

Copenhagen
Munich
Tokyo
Zürich
Helsinki
Vienna
Stockholm
Vancouver
Melbourne
Paris
Sydney
Honolulu
Madrid
Berlin
Barcelona
Montréal
Fukuoka
Amsterdam
Minneapolis
Kyoto

I’d like to take this opportunity to share my experience after living and visited many countries around the globe. Here is my twenty cents.

First of all, Tyler Brule is a trend setter. He has a track record to prove it. I was fascinated by his vision in a, well, revolutionary magazine back then from the first Wall Paper publication till it was sold to Time Warner, and because not many people has his vision, including people that took over the magazine, all the faithful has since kiss the magazine goodbye.

Secondly, he is a true citizen of the world class. I met him twice in Taipei and New York, and each time I have a short but insightful conversion with him, of course I don’t even dream of hogging his time, as lot of people wanted a share of his time. The fact of the matter is that he is always understanding and keen to learn what we have to say, and trust me he is not into small talks.

Just with the above mentioned points, I’m very confidence that his base knowledge of the world is just what we can’t contain in our lifetime. He is not famous for being famous like Paris or Britney. He really has something to offer. If you read most of my thread in this forum, I’m not very easily amused by people. I would vote him as our PM if he wants to take over Singapore as a leader. He has the same vision how we want our world and the place we live to become.

Enough said, what he has pointed out so far, and I don’t think the he has a trace of white supremacy in his bones, in his speech regarding Singapore is down right to the Tee. The followings are some of the points he expressed.

1. Gay Tolerance
What he meant on this is that if a governance of the city, in this case city, have been more tolerance on gay issues, MDA can just stop it’s bigotry on the gay censorship, Singapore will appear to be a more diverse, not only ethnically but “creatively”. I know compare to the mid-east countries, North Korea and the list goes on but do we really want to compare ourselves to these countries though.

2. Changi Airport
I adores Singapore Airport, and the trip between the airport and destination.
I’m very much in awe with Singapore’s airport except for one aspect; it’s one of the most eyesore of all newly built airport, and I’m even more impressed with Taipei 2nd terminal then our airport. There isn’t architectural element in it.
My question is why would Singapore has so many great architecture, much more then Hong Kong, and yet the airport is to be puke on.

3. City that doesn’t Sleep
I’m not worried about that. Singapore is one of the more robust cities in the world when it comes to nightlife.
Imagine, England’s curfew on alcohol is at 12am. The U.S. excluding Nevada have their last call for alcohol at 2pm; don’t get me wrong, they have after or after after hour, but no alcohol served.
Don’t even get me started with their drinking age, U.S. is the worst, with a legal age of 21, and so far none of my friends started when they turn legal and they allow kids to drive at the age of 16??? You can see why I hate the U.S. now. The more you see the world and understand human, the worst the States sounds by the minutes.

4. Farris Wheel
I really have to question what Singapore is thinking about building that hideous wheel. This doesn’t score any points for Singapore architecture wise.
There are so many thing we can build but Farris Wheel? What a waste of tax payer money. This is trying to hard to impress without thinking things through. Again, how can they justify the extreme high pay of the ministers when that’s the result they show. Singapore wake up!!!

5. Invention that is uniquely Singapore
Sighting the example toilet he gave regarding the cleanliness of Japan’s toilet. I think is too extreme but there is a point there regarding the invention that can make a statement of the country.
I’m still thinking what’s uniquely Singapore that can be invented. Please tell me if you can think of any. I need input on this.

6. Farmers Market
This to me is all about educating Singaporean. What government can do is to encourage some cottage industry that can produce things like Kaya, Noyna curry paste, display them in a beautiful cart that they design, that’s packaged beautifully that people will be enticed to bring them home, in a recycled bag.

7. Japan Lawson
8. Encourage Production
9. Design Benchmark
10. Taipei
11. Outdoor Cinema
12. Public Pool
13. Public Transportation Choices
14. Incorporating River into Singapore Living
15. Outdoor Seats
16. Public Housing
17. Hanging Garden

For those who are interested the other opinion in these issue please indicate can I’ll continue with my twenty cents

No comments: