Friday, March 20, 2009

Where did all the Stalent (Singapore Talent) go?

All year round, in Singapore press and the media, talks about how to maintain Singapore competitiveness have been expressed. The main concern in these reports and broadcast has been centered on foreign talent; how to attract and keep the foreign talent. Singapore, so is many countries in the world, is experiencing the worst economic downturn since WWII. Singapore unemployment has surge to an unprecedented level, as of February 25th 2009, it is at 4.8 percent, and we have not seen the worst yet. DBS predicted that the worst will hit in 2010, of course it is absolutely arbitrary, they themselves would know and there is no way to be certain at this point. So far, their prediction has been off the mark for as long as have seen.
I am a Singaporean who has been working abroad all my life. Every country that I have worked in has a certain amount of job market protectionism for their citizens. Normally a citizen of a democratic country elect a government, one might assume that the elected government should shield them from any day to day insecurities, having a job will provide these citizens with at less the income they can use to pay rent or mortgage, basic food and sundries.
Where is the so call protection from the government for their people? Singapore government should take Alibaba lead and adopt their Talent Attraction Policies. The CEO of Alibaba, MaYun, flew to the Silicon Valley to recruit workers for the company’s expansion. In his recruitment seminars, he told the room that he welcome race or creet to join him but his ultimate dream is to have Chinese returning to China.
I have already stressed many times and sometimes I feel like scream on the top of my lungs to shake up Singapore leaders, and by the way, to even use the words like Singapore leaders is completely oxymoron. Newsweek International's Fareed Zakaria noted Singapore's success on international math and science exams, but asked Education Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam why Singapore produced so few top-ranked scientists, entrepreneurs, inventors, business executives and academics. "We both have meritocracies," he replied. America's "is a talent meritocracy, ours is an exam meritocracy. There are some parts of the intellect that we are not able to test well -- like creativity, curiosity, a sense of adventure, ambition. Most of all, America has a culture of learning that challenges conventional wisdom, even if it means challenging authority. These are the areas where Singapore must learn from America."
With the above statement, I can’t understand why when there is a flaw in Singapore education system, the Singapore Board of education didn’t do anything about it. Knowing the fact that Students in Singapore is only good at test score and lack the ability to apply to the real life situation, why didn’t the government encourage internship even at the collage level?
I have experienced both Singapore and the U.S. education system. I’m proud of my American education, which made me who I’m today. I don’t think I would even be who I’m today without America. I’m able to think out of the box, better at my public speaking. There are only good things that comes from a system that never oppress your thinking, questioning the authority and challenging the system or the professors are encourage.
From my experiences with both the U.S. and Singapore, I can comfortably derive the fact that. Singapore is a young country where the leaders are not wise enough to combat their own inner fear and insecurity. The leaders in the developed U.S. are much more stable without having to prove to the world that they score high in their test and exams, and yet they churn out more talent then Singapore despite having more holidays then Singapore. I don’t think we went to school more then 6 months in a year, and look at us now, people will hire people like me before they will give Singaporean nerds a chance. OH!!!! BTW, SPEAKING PUAH CHU KANG, AND NO ONE ELSE IN THE WORLD UNDERSTANDS YOU, DOESN’T TAKE TO GUYS TOO FAR EITHER.

No comments: